Saturday, October 06, 2012

Coulda Been a Contender


Walt Redman called that fucker in, and the son of a bitch just about jumped into the truck. He stood about twenty yards from us, grunting and snorting, bloodshot eyes, covered in piss.

He had just been talking to her from down in the valley. Then he heard some other asshole bugling up here with her and he came to see about that. She was here somewhere; that pretty little cow elk that he had heard talking all slutty.

He got to the top of the hill and stopped.

What the hell is this? He stared, still quivering with desire. Who are these bastards? Two big metal bastards and three two-legged bastards standing up here all alone in the early morning light.

He stomped the ground and turned slightly, grunting. Something ain’t right, he knew now. The wind shifted and he caught the scent and turned his big head bolted down the hill, pussy be damned this shit smelled dangerous and he got out of here.

That was Tuesday. Elk season stated Friday. That randy kid wasn’t going to be tricked a second time. No sir.

Friday morning we hit the call, waved, and said hello from 425 yards as he turned and walked away, knowingly. That was the end of that.

I will become a better elk hunter. Yes. I will.



-Alex who will never be okay with 2am as a "get up" time.

8 comments:

  1. Good stuff, Alex. I wonder how they know when you're allowed to pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I donn't know, dude. But I do know that a better hunter would have killed that bull on Friday. Next time.

      Delete
  2. What round was your pop shooting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .338 Rem ultra mag.

      Delete
    2. thats what I thought, same one that we shot out at Redington? I just got me a Remington 7mm now i dont think I will be shooting a deer with my 30-06

      Delete
  3. Man that .338 is brutal, If you're next to it when it goes off it feels like you got hit by a buss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, the food, the area, the story. Only thing missing is the elk. I blanked on Coues this weekend but had a good time hunting anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it up there in the Hannagan Meadow area. Henry's cabin, where we were staying was pretty sweet. I would stay up there all summer if the world would just leave me alone.

      Delete

What sayeth you?